Thursday, July 23, 2009

Spoleto, July 23rd






Spoleto was at one time the capital of the Holy Roman Empire. You will observe the ancient Roman remains still evident in the restored first-century Roman Theatre, the Roman remains of arches such as, the Arco di Druso (dating back to 23 A.D.), the fourth century church San Salvatore, and the Roman engineered Ponte delle Torri (also known as the Roman aquaduct). We also visited the Duomo, whose facade is carefully designed of Romanesque and Renaissance elements. Inside this church, you will find fresoes by the great Florentine artist Fra' Filippo Lippi dating from 1469. Check out the photos and drawing.

4 comments:

  1. Kathleen, I have enjoyed reading your itinerary for the past several days. Some of the places I have been to and have enjoyed seeing your work posted. It is also fun to see at times where you have posted both ya'lls work side by side because I can see your personal influence in a piece. The colors and lines are spectacular. I cannot wait to see your portfolio! Karla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures are so cool! They make Italy seem timeless compared to the world around it. I like the drawing as well. It's charcoal, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Have I mentioned how jealous I am of you and your trip to Italy, Mrs. McClung?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is really cool I would love to go to Italy to see all of the stuff you are seeeing and being able to paint. The artwork in Italy is so beautiful. I hope to get to visit Europe soon.

    ReplyDelete